Monday, March 30, 2009

Cream Cheese Frosting and Solitude.

Random Fact of the Day: Did you know it’s possible to have to go to the bathroom so bad that you feel the need to gag? Did you know the drive from Schuler’s in GR to Holland, after maybe 4 SIGG bottles of water and 2 cups of coffee throughout the day, can seem like a cross-country trip? Did you know talking on the phone, listen to music loudly while gasping out the lyrics and talking to yourself does not take your mind off of it? Did you know getting off the Holland exit when you feel this way (hallelujah), only to get stuck behind a student driver who brakes on EVERY SINGLE CURVE and drives significantly under the speed limit, can seem like those mirages/visions of lush green and gurgling streams some people see in the desert (a farce)?

Did you know some people put themselves through this agony just for the sake of saving time? Did you know some people call home to make sure 1.) No one is in the bathroom closest to the back door, 2.) The garage door is open and 3.) Rehearse “I’m sorry, Officer, but is there any way you could follow me to my house so we could discuss there, after I use the bathroom” in their mind, in case they get pulled over for going over 45 mph in a 30 mph zone?

Yeah, I know. Who, in their right mind, would ever do that?

Thought of the week (very long...beware):
On solitude: I’ve come to find there are moments in life where you will feel incredibly fragile. Oftentimes, for me, it’s the result of going too fast and making too many plans and being so much “in the zone,” that life whips right on by. I like to do life in a big way and see the world in vibrant colors and create and learn as much as possible about life and others and how people tick. I like to do things quickly – I talk fast and write fast and read fast. And, despite my 5’3 frame, I even walk fast. I like games that move quickly and I’d rather walk up an escalator than ride it.

However, I do need to halt and pause and breathe, more often than I let myself. Big groups of people, while at times will energize me, just as often drain me. Maybe it’s that introverted side of me whispering, “Hey, you need to recharge.” I love being around friends and family and laughing and talking on the phone and meeting up for coffee and planning lunch dates and get-togethers. But sometimes, I need to withdraw and just be alone.

As this past weekend approached, I felt more and more “fragile” if you will, as each day passed. After having just thought earlier in the week, rather smugly, “I don’t remember the last time I cried” came three days in a row that I found tears welling up. Not really over anything in particular. And at first, I just attributed it to PMS and lots of big events happening in the past few weeks. But, it was really the distinct need for some release, for big events and small occurrences. For disappointments and frustrations and heartache and joy. For some things that didn’t deserve tears and some things that did. So, I decided to put my phone on “silent” and stay off the computer, even for email (which I check incessantly and rather obsessively) for the weekend. Instead, I focused on re-centering and re-charging and re-connecting with what matters the most. (Side note: Please don't feel sorry for me - that's not the intention of sharing this particular post. I have a distinct apprehension of sharing too much and being like one of those FB status updaters who shares their entire personal life via News Feed.)

So, Friday at 5:15, I silenced my phone and headed home. Stopped at B&N for a book and an over-priced double chocolate cupcake (because somehow, chocolate helps make the world a little more right). Nothing monumental happened this weekend. I didn’t come to some great, robust epiphany about life or love or journey. But I was reminded about the great importance of reckless, sold-out faith. And reminded of the bigger picture than my small life on the west side of MI.

“Crazy Love: Overwhelmed By A Relentless God” by Francis Chan has been on my list of books to read for a while. But part of me didn’t want to read it, because I knew it would be convicting and I wasn’t sure if I wanted to feel unsettled and certainly didn’t want to feel convicted. Which clearly made this weekend the perfect opportunity to dive in. I’m about ¾ of the way through and it’s been a thought-provoking and at times, very convicting read.

Being alone this weekend, resting and reading and baking and thinking has been very good to my soul. Don’t get me wrong –life has been GOOD – very good. And I love where I am right now and am blessed and happy. Life just got to a crux where I needed to sort through thoughts and frustrations and over-occupations that I’ve either been pushing aside to deal with another day or dwelling on altogether too frequently.

Two thoughts in particular I’m pondering from the book:

"People who are obsessed with Jesus aren’t consumed with their personal safety and comfort above all else. Obsessed people care more about God’s kingdom coming to this earth than their own lives being shielded from pain or distress…A person who is obsessed (with Jesus) thinks about heaven frequently. Obsessed people orient their lives around eternity; they are not fixed only on what is here in front of them" (excerpted from p. 133 and 142).

AND

"I used to believe in this world there are two kinds of people: natural worriers and naturally joyful people. I couldn’t really help it that I was the worrying kind. I’m a problem solver, so I have to focus on things that need fixing…But then there’s that perplexing command: “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! (Phil. 4:4).” You’ll notice it doesn’t end with “…unless you’re doing something extremely important.” No, it’s a command for all of us, and it follows with the charge, “Do not be anxious about anything” (v.6)…When I am consumed by my problems – stressed out about my life, my family, my job – I actually convey the belief that I think the circumstances are more important than God’s command to always rejoice. In other words, I have the “right” to disobey God because of the magnitude of my problems…To be brutally honest, it doesn’t really matter what place you find yourself in right now. Your part is to bring Him glory. The point of your life is to point to Him" (excerpted from p. 41 and 44).

If you haven’t read this book, I’d encourage it. If you have, I’d love to discuss.

All in all, I feel a little more whole coming into this week. Being in the quiet, wrapped up in a down blanket and only wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt (I know I always talk about sweatpants, but seriously, they are an amazing, brilliant piece of apparel), getting away from the noise and hustle and bustle of life has been a gift. My sister/wombmate and I watched Grease, because I’ve gotten so many appalled reactions that I haven’t seen this classic and I took a nap and went on a great, albeit LONG run.

Side note on my run: Sometimes you just have to laugh. So, I’m approaching mile seven and almost home and really proud of myself and thinking about how I should be an Olympic athlete or something. However, I’m also exhausted and my legs feel like lead as I’m trying to sprint the tail-end. Then, this girl comes bounding down the road, in a really great, professional-looking zip-up and running tights and this perfect, flowing, wavy blond ponytail and she’s SMILING while running and basically is probably a model for Crest because her teeth are so white and straight. She’s full-out grinning, actually.

And there I trot past her, my face is BRIGHT red from the stinging wind and bangs are flopping over the headband I got from a ten-pack at Walmart or something and I am not smiling or wearing a zip-up. I’m wearing an old, long-sleeved cheer t-shirt and cropped pants and the exposed parts of my legs are numb and look frost-bitten. And I announced my experience at the dinner table and my parents said she was probably only running a half mile or something. It did make me feel better, although she is probably a marathon runner. I’ll probably see her in the London 2012 Olympics.


Anyway…it was a full weekend. I’m sorry I always go on tangents. I don’t ever see it coming. It just kind of happens. And you think I’d take advantage of the delete key, but alas, I do not (hence the “Random Fact of the Day” that may be TMI…and this very, very long post.)

Some people have mentioned they’re unable to comment on the blog posts. I’m not sure why, so if anyone has a suggestion on how to fix this, let me know. Otherwise you can just email (nicolemprince@gmail.com), Tweet (nicoleprince) or call with your comments (but I’m not putting down my number, since this is the World Wide Web and all).

Thanks for reading. I have no idea who reads this and sometimes I think it's just my best friend’s mom, a devoted high school friend and maybe a friend or two from work. But that's okay. I have decided to start writing twice a week though, since these posts are a little too long for my liking.

And here’s a shout-out to my dear friend, Julie, who’s like family to me, and who I know reads this: Julie, I wish you the absolute best year yet (21!) and lots of chocolate and reasons to laugh and dance and listen to crazy songs with our names in them (or not…). Happy birthday (a day past, once I actually post this)!


And Now I Leave You With a Rhyme:
I made cupcakes – a favorite treat/The frosting I made, it was so neat/So great, in fact, I almost swooned/So, as a gift, instead of a spoon/I leave you with the recipe/And now, you too, can be filled with glee.


Recipe for the BEST Cream Cheese Frosting I’ve Ever Tasted – Step Aside Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines (courtesy of the Food Network, although I came up with the title):

  • 1 stick unsalted butter (softened)
  • 1 block cream cheese (softened)
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

Cream butter and cream cheese. Beat in powdered sugar slowly. Add vanilla. Eat with a spoon and swoon. It will raise your day from a 6 to a 10 (on a ten point scale) immediately.

0 comments: